Up To 20 U.S. Troops Responsible For Afghan Massacre
An Afghan parliamentary investigation team has implicated up to 20 US troops in the massacre of 16 civilians in Kandahar early on Sunday morning. It contradicts NATO’s account that insists one rogue soldier was behind the slaughter.
The team of Afghan lawmakers has spent two days collating reports from witnesses, survivors and inhabitants of the villages where the tragedy took place.
“We are convinced that one soldier cannot kill so many people in two villages within one hour at the same time, and the 16 civilians, most of them children and women, have been killed by the two groups,” investigator Hamizai Lali told Afghan News.
Lali also said their investigations led to them to believe 15 to 20 US soldiers had been involved in the killings.
The head of the Afghan parliamentary investigation, Sayed Ishaq Gillani, told the BBC that witnesses report seeing helicopters dropping chaff during the attack, a measure used to hide targets from ground attack.
Gillani added that locals suspect the massacre was revenge for attacks carried out last week on US forces that left several injured.
Meanwhile the US military has detained one soldier in connection with the massacre and transferred him to Kuwait amid outcry for a public trial in Afghanistan.
US authorities are currently conducting an investigation into the motives behind the attack, but maintain that the soldier’s trial must be dealt with by the US legal system.
It is believed that the soldier may have had alcohol problems and been suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
358 Notes/ Hide
- supermankalel reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- theknitter likes this
- screen--agers likes this
- gasshofriend reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- blog-o-modzie reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- btgwpersonalblog reblogged this from thisinsatiableshadow
- thisinsatiableshadow reblogged this from asunkee
- brofather likes this
- thisinsatiableshadow likes this
- asunkee reblogged this from socialuprooting
- anindiscriminatecollection reblogged this from anotsosadsong
- conceiteddaydreamer reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- conceiteddaydreamer likes this
- callatesolitaria likes this
- tsukimi-yuki reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- stopspinningtheworld reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- businessoutsider reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- o7o7o7 likes this
- theseblankstares reblogged this from palmoscopy and added:
- lllasthope reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- car-shizzle reblogged this from fiyahpower
- palmoscopy reblogged this from uckf
- fiyahpower reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- nothingtolosebutourbordom likes this
- cableknit-knight reblogged this from neuroticnewsjunkie
- ihavevividreams likes this
- menneriello likes this
- moondevoured reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- neuroticnewsjunkie reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- setfabulazerstomaximumcaptain likes this
- letitcrash likes this
- cat-likethief reblogged this from feminarum
- centralnervoussystem likes this
- feminarum reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- le-kif-kif reblogged this from sinidentidades
- mymarketingfile likes this
- graisinbrand reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- steroge likes this
- joaoscatarino likes this
- raybucklad reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- bredeization reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- phishtaco reblogged this from freeusapress
- teenperspective2news reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- hobbitswizardskitties reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- albyg reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- This was featured in #News