Internet Censorship Bill, CISPA, Will Allow Companies To Abuse User Privacy With Immunity
Quite a few people are comparing CIPSA to SOPA but the truth is CIPSA is much different and a lot worse. CISPA is supported by major companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter, and major ISP’s like Verizon and AT&T.
The Bill overrides existing laws and allows corporations to give unlimited information to the government like stored data, private emails, web history, downloads, etc. without legal accountability.
Rep. Rogers is adamant that the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) is an information “sharing” bill. But despite the bill’s title and Rep. Rogers’ assurances, the bill is also a surveillance bill:
- Its broad definitions allow private companies to monitor network traffic and stored data—including private email—and transfer such private data to the government or others with virtually no oversight or legal accountability. This lack of oversight and accountability stems from the sweeping immunities provided to companies, which bypass long-standing privacy law.
- Under CISPA, private companies may spy on user communications, whether stored or in transit, and freely pass personal information to the government as long as they claim a vague “cybersecurity” exception.
- As long as companies act in “good faith” and the collection is for a “cybersecurity purpose”—a purpose as vague as protecting or securing any network from degradation or disruption—there are no limits on what type of information can be intercepted and shared.
- The bill also creates expansive legal immunity that makes companies and the government largely unaccountable to users.
- If a company learns about a security flaw, fails to fix it, and users’ information is misused or stolen, companies cannot beheld liable as long as the company acted “in good faith” according to CISPA.
- Companies “acting in good faith” are also excused from all liability for engaging in potential counter measures, even if they hurt innocent parties.
- CISPA grants surveillance power to private entities “not withstanding any other provision of law,” which may nullify existing rights to sue under laws such as the Wiretap Act, the Stored Communications Act, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Combined with the bill’s broad “good faith” immunity, this scheme attacks our long-held legal traditions that create checks and balances through independent judicial oversight.
If CISPA passes, companies lose any legally based incentive to protect user privacy.
159 Notes/ Hide
- serverdatarecovery reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- serverdatarecovery likes this
- i-sayanything reblogged this from my-life-is-liz-lemon
- my-life-is-liz-lemon reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- gryblogs reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- danton-damnark reblogged this from askmidnightkira and added:
- resmc reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- resmc likes this
- darvah reblogged this from captainsamcarter
- reconyessance likes this
- saylorswatch likes this
- jun0rk reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- ghostingthespace reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- lifeandfreedom reblogged this from bittergrapes
- daded reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- stocktonreject likes this
- pandahspunk reblogged this from aluminaughty
- pandahspunk likes this
- enohpesrep likes this
- entrelex reblogged this from stocktonreject and added:
- taergalive reblogged this from donutbutton
- captainsamcarter reblogged this from emilylikesaliens
- melissaduck reblogged this from skellagirl
- nottambulo reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- suchaneffect reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- fuckyeahliberalatheists reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- smilefortyeight likes this
- shadowswillgivewaytolight reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- buildaballroom reblogged this from santa-hoho-ready
- oldparasitesingle reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- aguybehindamask reblogged this from tinfoilandtea
- aguybehindamask likes this
- super-highschool-level-slacker reblogged this from ouziki and added:
- trendermanismyspiritanimal reblogged this from skellagirl
- ouziki reblogged this from shiningtonbo
- shiningtonbo reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- vickiinmyhead reblogged this from tinfoilandtea and added:
- vickiinmyhead likes this
- kittys--master reblogged this from steven-kun
- genderterrorist likes this
- morphetamine reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- whenimreallyathundacat reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- captainbloopverse reblogged this from pocketchina
- artemisinblackarchive reblogged this from loverlylight
- ch-ch-ch-chips reblogged this from adorablyrotten
- aggressive-tyrant reblogged this from xaldinini and added:
- adorablyrotten reblogged this from donutbutton
- instantmonkeysonline reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- timekiller-s likes this