Americans Are Too Broke To Go Bankrupt
This year, hundreds of thousands of Americans are expected to be too broke to file for bankruptcy.
The average cost to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, the most common form of consumer bankruptcy, is more than $1,500, according to recent research submitted to the National Bureau of Economic Research.
As a result, anywhere between 200,000 and one million consumers are estimated to be unable to afford that steep cost this year.
The research, conducted by a group of professors from Columbia University, the University of Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis,examined how bankruptcy filings spiked after people received their tax rebates in previous years. They estimate that another 200,000 consumers, who would otherwise not have enough money to file, will use their tax refunds to pay for bankruptcy this year.
“It becomes harder and harder to pay off the debt as interest payments get higher, so your debt grows larger and larger,“ said Jialan Wang, co-author of the report.
Among those fees is a charge of about $300 just for filing the paperwork with the federal court, while the rest typically goes to bankruptcy lawyers, said Wang.
And there are other expenses on top of that, including fees for mandatory pre-bankruptcy credit counseling and a pre-discharge debtor education course. These average about $85 altogether, according to a recent study sponsored by the American Bankruptcy Institute, she said.
That means many of the Americans who have seen their debt snowball out of control due to events like job loss, foreclosure or a medical emergency during the economic downturn are now left without their last financial lifeline, she said.
170 Notes/ Hide
- particularspace reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- abrasive likes this
- ianishollywood reblogged this from iateglitterforbreakfast and added:
- thegeminisage reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- melnetta reblogged this from thisismyangrypolitcalblog
- angelitosanity reblogged this from stalecheetos and added:
- angelitosanity likes this
- stalecheetos reblogged this from sinidentidades
- isortofknowwhatimdoing reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- sterwood reblogged this from sinidentidades
- sterwood likes this
- readerwriterthinker likes this
- swissmisstery likes this
- timekiller-s likes this
- philosophermaggot reblogged this from sinidentidades
- ascensionofstars likes this
- rayisfor reblogged this from yahoofightroom
- petticoatruler reblogged this from sinidentidades
- muff1n-butt reblogged this from sinidentidades
- gracefree reblogged this from sinidentidades
- hectorfabu likes this
- nerdargyle999 likes this
- thisisqpocprivilege likes this
- seanpadilla likes this
- theveganarchist likes this
- feminarum reblogged this from sinidentidades
- fariyah likes this
- sinidentidades reblogged this from interruptions
- silas216 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- silas216 likes this
- decisive-emu-victory reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- isortofknowwhatimdoing likes this
- cyberviking reblogged this from the-skooma-cat
- the-skooma-cat reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- evelark likes this
- hollywoodwhispers likes this
- bedbugsbiting reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias and added:
- ezay12 likes this
- ayyaiyai likes this
- theyellowfeministfatale reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- bobmuffins likes this
- chloridecleansing likes this
- chloridecleansing reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- octopusonrollerskates reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- octopusonrollerskates likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- badhouses likes this
- drunk-sincerity likes this
- thisismyangrypolitcalblog reblogged this from anarcho-queer