The last week has seen a series of violent clashes between Bangladeshi garment workers and the police, resulting in over 250 workers being injured.
Workers at the Hallmark Group in Hemayetpur are demanding that arrears in their salaries are paid with immediate effect, and that they receive their annual ‘Eid’ bonus, which is due later this week.
Following three days of a large and noisy protest outside the factory and offices, the bosses continued to refuse to bow to the worker’s demands. Subsequently 15,000 workers blockaded a key highway route for many hours.
Violence erupted as heavily armed riot police and members of the armed forces attempted to regain control of the highway, using tear gas and rubber bullets.
In the days following the violence, the bosses have dismissed over 120 workers who they claim are militants, and who are responsible for troubles at the factory.
It must have slipped the bosses minds that it’s unpaid salaries that have sparked the dispute. A company director has been arrested within the last month on charges of embezzling $35 billion from the Sonali bank, in what is the country’s largest ever case of fraud. Charges against several other board members are pending.
The workers at the Hemayetpur factory work on average 84 hours a week for a monthly pay cheque of £19. A living wage in Bangladesh is said to be around £39 a month. Amongst other customers, they produce clothing for Primark, Zara, and New Look.
Solidarity with the Bangladeshi garment workers.
116 Notes/ Hide
- radicalhybrid reblogged this from memonite
- thepathofabeliever likes this
- theyoungradical likes this
- memonite reblogged this from fortunatelight
- zwaki likes this
- jjarichardson reblogged this from myheadisweak
- jjarichardson likes this
- priceofliberty reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- linoparaulata reblogged this from socialdemocracy
- anarchodurian666 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- iwantanalien reblogged this from ozzylot
- sustainableprosperity reblogged this from introvertedart
- bedangeroustogether likes this
- ozzylot reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- ozzylot likes this
- laika-the-bitch reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- latinagabi likes this
- upst8ofmind reblogged this from neverdancewiththedevil
- ignatius-m reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- wearetheweirdos likes this
- throughthevalleyofdeath reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- cosmicebb likes this
- faucondesang likes this
- ilikemygrungelikeilikemysteak likes this
- raindancenaked likes this
- atossecretos reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- anti-propaganda reblogged this from theyoungradical
- amodernmanifesto reblogged this from myheadisweak
- ninjazpenguinzz likes this
- myheadisweak reblogged this from theyoungradical
- theyoungradical reblogged this from themindislimitless
- vegetablearian likes this
- perscientiamlibertas likes this
- recitation reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- letinout likes this
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- andthentherewasplur likes this
- teaspoon-of-salt reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- occupyphx reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- bornthisbrown likes this
- i-l-lusive likes this
- queerlybaked reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- allons-y--julie reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- pandahspunk likes this
- nerdlover510 reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- amipunkyet likes this
- nocturnalphantasmagoria reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- carolinacurvosity likes this
- knowledgeequalsblackpower reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord