The U.S. government is quietly installing sophisticated audio surveillance systems on public buses across the country to listen to conversations of passengers, Michael Brick of The Daily reports.
“With the new systems, experts say, transit officials can effectively send an invisible police officer to transcribe the individual conversations of every passenger riding on a public bus," Brick writes.
The initiative raises questions about privacy in public as it opens the door for transit officials and law enforcement agencies to listen to conversations without search warrants or court supervision.
“This is very shocking,” privacy law expert Anita Allen told The Daily. “It’s a little beyond what we’re accustomed to. The adding of the audio seems more sensitive.”
Even in light of emerging surveillance technologies such as speech and facial recognition being installed by the FBI, the biometrics analysis of TrapWire, the electronic surveillance by the National Security Agency (NSA) and GPS location data that the government considers fair game, this certainly seems to raise the bar.
Documents obtained by The Daily reveal that the technology is in the process of being implemented in Eugene, Ore.; San Francisco; Athens, Ga.; Baltimore; Traverse City, Mich.; Hartford, Conn.; and Columbus, Ohio .
In San Francisco the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) provided a grant that covers a $5.9 million contract to install the surveillance system on 357 buses and trolley cars over four years, with an option for 613 more vehicles.
“This technology is sadly indicative of a trend in increased surveillance by commercial and law enforcement entities, under the guise of improved safety,” an independent security consultant who reviewed the specs of the audio surveillance system told The Daily.
689 Notes/ Hide
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- urban-writer reblogged this from sinidentidades
- xi-ll likes this
- greatestmyth reblogged this from cultivationofmysoul
- triangular3daisies reblogged this from cultivationofmysoul
- cultivationofmysoul reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- chachaagain likes this
- onitaset likes this
- kimveee reblogged this from raw-r-evolution
- wavinglikethetrees reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm and added:
- sicklycryptic likes this
- 7thkmrob likes this
- raw-r-evolution reblogged this from satanic-capitalist and added:
- imaginarywallscollapse likes this
- satanic-capitalist reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- disciplesofmalcolm reblogged this from dirtcrass
- thenevertale reblogged this from mochte
- merrychance likes this
- kv96ic28 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- libertaria reblogged this from kv96ic28
- kwartz likes this
- newzat10 reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- satanicpizzaparty reblogged this from kenobi-wan-obi
- tinman88 reblogged this from pbnpineapples and added:
- pbnpineapples reblogged this from themindislimitless
- blackgirlsarefromthefuture reblogged this from polerin
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- hoburt reblogged this from realworldnews
- impromptuonedykedanceparty reblogged this from mxnotmrdarcy
- emotionalbabehood likes this
- mxnotmrdarcy reblogged this from theboyprincessdiaries
- 0thewholeme0 reblogged this from rileykonor
- stationlost likes this
- collaterlysisters reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- nicklehopper reblogged this from weedsexmarschemtrails and added:
- mechanicalstevie reblogged this from weedsexmarschemtrails
- weedsexmarschemtrails reblogged this from lunaranomalies
- lebizarre reblogged this from chickiedear and added:
- chickiedear reblogged this from anakinkendrick
- depoetayloco reblogged this from downlo and added:
- vaginacougar likes this
- lazyducklings reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- solar-shaman reblogged this from theboyprincessdiaries
- sincerelysadie reblogged this from kenobi-wan-obi
- kenyabenyagurl reblogged this from themindislimitless and added:
- kenyabenyagurl likes this
- jjarichardson reblogged this from myheadisweak
- jjarichardson likes this
- avanzarrr likes this