Hostess Brands acknowledged for the first time in a news report Monday that the company diverted workers’ pension money for other company uses.
The bankrupt baker told The Wall Street Journal that money taken out of workers’ paychecks, intended for their retirement funds, was used for company operations instead. Hostess, which was under different management at the time the diversions began in August 2011, said it does not know how much money it took.
“It’s not a good situation to have,” Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn told the WSJ.
“Whatever the circumstances were, whatever those decisions were, I wasn’t there,” Rayburn added. As the founder and owner of Kobi Partners, a restructuring advisory firm, Rayburn was appointed acting CEO in March 2012.
Hostess Brands, which filed for bankruptcy for a second time in January, started liquidating its operations in November after the bakers’ union refused to take another pay cut and went on strike. The liquidation will leave about 18,000 workers without jobs.
In November, a judge approved Hostess’ plan to pay $1.8 million in bonuses to 19 executives, according to CNBC. Rayburn declined to take a bonus but also avoided a company-wide pay cut that he imposed, Hostess told HuffPost.
Twinkies are unlikely to go extinct, since Hostess is in talks with 110 buyers about its brands. But the snack cake genre may need a revamp, as Americans have become increasingly health- and quality-conscious.
446 Notes/ Hide
- annotatedimages likes this
- siberia likes this
- imathers likes this
- ginger-yosef likes this
- thenocturnalcouchpotato reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- abbyechofang likes this
- iturnedintoatree reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- tinyfeministkilljoy reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- xmarold reblogged this from beatingsofabesottedheart
- darkfromday reblogged this from beatingsofabesottedheart
- darkfromday likes this
- beatingsofabesottedheart reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- original-recipe-winnafish reblogged this from peekadora
- secret-whovian-agenda reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- azzandra reblogged this from pfdiva
- pfdiva reblogged this from lettersiarrange
- lettersiarrange reblogged this from rhazade-waterbender
- thvtwvsd0p3 likes this
- okorogariist reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- silversundancer reblogged this from veruca-assault
- veruca-assault reblogged this from robot-heart-politics
- kmr-13 likes this
- allthethings07 likes this
- ravenskyewalker likes this
- randycwhite reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- randycwhite likes this
- kaiamar likes this
- eclecticdreamweaver likes this
- ilikemygrungelikeilikemysteak likes this
- mobio likes this
- real-news reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- muffordandsons likes this
- filmnoir666 likes this
- kenshiro28 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- quixylvre likes this
- chemman9 reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- just-gene likes this
- laziestgenius likes this
- woofdaddy likes this
- whatthethunder-said reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- ughwhocares likes this
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- twelve-percent-moment reblogged this from psilentasincjelli
- werewolf-teeth likes this
- whatshallwedo likes this
- super-rainbows reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- tyrianprinceofrage reblogged this from ethereal-ineffability
- gloctorwho reblogged this from quilted-dreams
- psilentasincjelli reblogged this from ethereal-ineffability and added: