Greek police have stepped up efforts to catch illegal immigrants in recent months, launching a new operation to check the papers of people who look foreign. But tourists have also been picked up in the sweeps - and at least two have been badly beaten.
When Korean backpacker Hyun Young Jung was stopped by a tall scruffy looking man speaking Greek on the street in central Athens he thought it might be some kind of scam, so he dismissed the man politely and continued on his way.
A few moments later he was stopped again, this time by a man in uniform who asked for his documents. But as a hardened traveller he was cautious.
Greece was the 16th stop in his two-year-long round-the-world trip and he’d often been warned about people dressing in fake uniforms to extract money from backpackers, so while he handed over his passport he also asked the man to show him his police ID.
Instead, Jung says, he received a punch in the face.
Within seconds, the uniformed man and his plainclothes partner - the man who had first approached Jung - had him down on the ground and were kicking him, according to the Korean.
In shock, Jung was by now convinced he was being mugged by criminals and began shouting for help from passers-by.
It was only when he was handcuffed and dragged 500m (500 yards) up the road to the nearest police station that he realised he was actually under arrest.
Jung says that outside the station the uniformed officer, without any kind of warning, turned on him again, hitting him in the face.
Inside the police station, Jung says he was attacked a third time in the stairwell where there were no people or cameras.
Jung was held with a number of migrants from Africa and Asia who had also been rounded up as part of the police’s anti-immigration operation Xenios Zeus - named, strangely, after the ancient Greek god of hospitality.
It is thought that up to 95% of undocumented migrants entering the European Union arrive via Greece, and because border controls make it hard to continue into the rest of Europe many end up stuck in the country.
According to some estimates, immigrants could now make up as much as 10% of the population.
But while more than 60,000 people have been detained on the streets of Athens since it was launched in August 2012, there have been fewer than 4,200 arrests.
And some visitors to Greece have been detained despite having shown police their passports.
Last summer, a Nigerian-born American, Christian Ukwuorji, visited Greece on a family holiday with his wife and three children.
When police stopped him in central Athens he showed them his US passport, but they handcuffed him anyway and took him to the central police station.
They gave no reason for holding him, but after a few hours in custody Ukwuorji says he was so badly beaten that he passed out. He woke up in hospital.
“I went there to spend my money but they stopped me just because of my colour," he says. "They are racist.”
1250 Notes/ Hide
- chaotic-chatter reblogged this from kingofreaks
- chaotic-chatter likes this
- treefan reblogged this from kingofreaks
- sheepyboop reblogged this from kingofreaks
- sheepyboop likes this
- laughingoutveryloud likes this
- kingofreaks reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- carnelianflames reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- kryptoncat reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- eveybitch reblogged this from salt-sass-and-lyrium
- salt-sass-and-lyrium reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- thesecondtimewemeet reblogged this from grrlyman
- microvlog likes this
- alazcano likes this
- flayotters reblogged this from grrlyman and added:
- shadowvalkyrie likes this
- a-swell-kind-of-hell reblogged this from spookyskookin
- partiallythere reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- partiallythere likes this
- kerii-chan reblogged this from callingoutbigotry and added:
- madrantageous likes this
- josiephin-is-the-cat-queen likes this
- themeasureofthings likes this
- arson-fella likes this
- kaleyjohnson reblogged this from retsyboss
- kaleyjohnson likes this
- queerwings likes this
- ascandalinwallmaria reblogged this from enjoy-the-silence and added:
- enjoy-the-silence reblogged this from callingoutbigotry and added:
- oudeteron reblogged this from callingoutbigotry and added:
- laurellynnleake likes this
- mysideoftheuniverse reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- mysideoftheuniverse likes this
- with--one-kiss-we-begin reblogged this from yuyayunka
- mistressweatherwax reblogged this from cunthulhu
- rattled-my-bones reblogged this from puchongita
- thiswillbedust likes this
- cunthulhu reblogged this from grrlyman
- alittlebitnerdy reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- mint-julep-testosterone reblogged this from grrlyman
- ohpauline likes this
- lingeringdust reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- notyourcopine likes this
- ptsdean likes this
- thotcrime likes this
- marshmallowhedgehog reblogged this from dean-winchester-has-been-shaved
- colorfulove reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- dean-winchester-has-been-shaved reblogged this from callingoutbigotry
- aliceincrohnsland likes this
- puchongita reblogged this from callingoutbigotry