February 1st, 2013
I am a few days past my one-month mark as I write this. I am still isolated in the Special Housing Unit (solitary confinement) here at FDC SeaTac and I have not heard any word on how long I will remain here.
I want to thank everyone who has sent me a letter thus far. Your letters and warm gestures of support from all over the world have helped remind me that I am not alone. Especially wonderful are all of the people who supported me before going in as well as those who showed up for court dates. Your advice and embraces have helped me in so many ways. Thanks to CAPR and Denver ABC for keeping my commissary full. I think of y’all every morning when I drink my instant coffee.
I am using my time to read, listen to the radio and exercise. I have been sticking to a routine, which has helped me stay grounded. I am trying my best to respond to all of the letters I have received, but am limited by stamps and supplies. I apologize if you have not received a response. Though I really should also apologize to those who have received letters from me; I am practicing to improve my handwriting.
I have particularly enjoyed receiving letters with pictures of nature/cute animals, news/goings on and jokes. I have found great strength in laughter while in here.
My main frustration thus far has been that, despite my many requests, I have still not been able to call my lawyer. It has been more than a month and I have not even seen so much as a response to my requests.
Regardless of that, I am generally in good spirits and I am looking forward to the day when I can thank everyone, in person, for their support.
Love & Rage,
For those of you who do not know of the Grand Jury Resisters, let me explain the situation:
Last year a grand jury investigation was opened last year against anarchists in the Pacific Northwest. The government claims they were investigating the vandalism that occurred during May Day (May 1st) but a FOIA request confirmed that the investigation was opened two months prior (March 2nd). In other words, the investigation was opened before the crime was committed.
Several anarchists from the Pacific Northwest were subpoenaed to appear in court in relation to the vandalism. In order to force these anarchists to talk, the state grants them immunity. When you are granted immunity in a grand jury investigation, your right to remain silent is nonexistent. So if you don’t give them any info, you are sent to jail, even if you truly do not have any useful intel. Those granted immunity are literally forced to make up information to avoid being sent to jail. This is a clear case of entrapment.
So far three anarchists have been sent to jail for remaining silent. To be clear, they have not been charged with any crime. Recently another person has been subpoenaed to appear in court. On December 27th, the day after Maddy self-reported to prison, himself and another grand jury resister were put in solitary confinement. This is an obvious tactics being used by the state to forced them to cooperate.
Please call SeaTac FDC at 206-870-5700 to demand that Matthew Duran and Katherine Olejnik be moved back to general population.
36 Notes/ Hide
- charlottefever reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- catbouquet reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- faucondesang reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- tree-ghost reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- recitation reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- slytherclawgrrl likes this
- anonamuss reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- oldparasitesingle reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- ravenclaws-wit reblogged this from basedceerex
- unsettlingideologies likes this
- unsettlingideologies reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- joshuaduane likes this
- thesameindifferentways reblogged this from basedceerex
- thewaterwillcome likes this
- myheadisweak likes this
- basedceerex reblogged this from lillabet
- kellypope likes this
- skrett likes this
- michaelisbored reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- cognitive-consonants likes this
- cognitive-consonants reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- ananiujitha reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- cat-halftime likes this
- rebisquik reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- buoyantmist likes this
- mostlyjudson reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- setphaserstodoom reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- mzmew likes this
- ourbravenewworld reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- strive-struggle-sacrifice likes this
- noropro reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- lillabet reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- anarcho-queer posted this