Despite its world-class restaurants, New York City is home to the nation’s hungriest Congressional district.
From 2011 to 2012, more than 36% of households in the since redistricted Congressional District 16, which included parts of the South Bronx, suffered from “food hardship,” according to a report released Thursday by the Food Research and Action Center, a non-profit organization.
The area was changed to the 15th district last year.
”In the richest city in the richest nation in the world, this is unacceptable and just plain wrong," said Joel Berg, executive director of the New York City Coalition Against Hunger.
The 16th Congressional district had the country’s highest percentage of respondents that said there were times when they did not have enough money to buy food they or their family needed, according to Gallup polling data cited in the report.
When the survey was conducted, the 16th encompassed several neighborhoods in the South Bronx, including Bedford Park, East Tremont, Fordham, Hunts Point, Melrose, Highbridge, Morrisania, Mott Haven and University Heights.
“Any level of food insecurity is unacceptable in a city and a nation as wealthy as ours," said Rep. José Serrano, who represented the 16th when the poll was conducted.
New York City has been home to the hungriest congressional district in the nation since 2009.
444 Notes/ Hide
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- foodshuttleurbanag likes this
- mauricesmall reblogged this from soulbrotherv2
- gordo10bx likes this
- theyalwayswantyoutoproveit reblogged this from so-treu
- sociologysimplified likes this
- tumblingintosoc reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- resmc likes this
- surroundedbysquares likes this
- jazzy-w likes this
- newmodelminority reblogged this from so-treu
- plushpalace reblogged this from sarcasmicsarah
- gunfu reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- jintana likes this
- neo-filipino reblogged this from howtobeterrell
- elffia reblogged this from howtobeterrell
- tic-tac926 likes this
- bananacupcakes reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- 8fo3 reblogged this from nikoleevette
- nikoleevette reblogged this from afrocaribbeanistlostatsea
- steviexciv likes this
- afrocaribbeanistlostatsea reblogged this from amalgamable and added:
- amalgamable reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- bifury likes this
- jeriorlizorart likes this
- laliguras likes this
- ecstasybread likes this
- divascreech likes this
- dvniela likes this
- sarcasmicsarah reblogged this from queennubian
- monsterousgirl reblogged this from vampishly
- meagansjoy reblogged this from pragtastic
- elbarriotours likes this
- vivelavapeur reblogged this from so-treu
- the-haunted-banjo likes this
- the-haunted-banjo reblogged this from daggerpen
- genderevolution reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- zanbandia reblogged this from rikki-tikki-tavvi
- daggerpen reblogged this from alexandraerin
- drzank likes this
- itsalljustenergyandinfoman reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- the-nomadic-writer likes this
- afrosupreme likes this
- ohtobeoriginal reblogged this from mickyalexvstheworld
- zumainthyfuture reblogged this from sun-flower-pow-er
- personalvision likes this
- itkindarhymeswithcoma reblogged this from sinidentidades and added:
- andywear reblogged this from sinidentidades
- nappynomad reblogged this from alexandraerin