Photo Caption: Bedford-Stuyvesant mom Eliana Luciano, 29, with her daughter Katherine, 6.
New York City neighborhoods attracting affluent new residents are also home to a more troubling trend - increasing child poverty.
East Harlem and Bedford-Stuyvesant scored high on the Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York’s new ranking of the Big Apple’s poorest communities.
“Pockets of extreme poverty persist in the city, even in neighborhoods that are often thought to be improving economically,” said CCC executive director Jennifer March-Joly.
Along strips like Bedford Ave. in Bedford-Stuyvesant and Lexington Ave. in East Harlem, wine bars, restaurants and chic boutiques have sprung up in recent years.
But the neighborhoods also have pockets of growing poverty, CCC found.
Since the recession began in 2008, the numbers of children living in poverty in East Harlem jumped from 31.6 percent to 44.2 percent in 2010.
In Bedford Stuyvestant, where the white population jumped 600% since 2000, the number of kids living in poverty increased from 39.6 percent in 2008 to 47 percent.
Median income for both neighborhoods was also surpringly low : Families with children under 18 in both East Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant earned about $28,000 in 2010 - compared to the citywide average of about $61,000.
“You have young whites moving in,and minorities moving out. What is left behind are people who can’t afford to move out,” said CUNY graduate center sociologist Richard Alba.
“I can’t afford my rent,” said Luciano who makes $7.60 an hour working at CVS. “It’s hard. You can’t find a decent job.”
Richard Toxe, a father of four who works as a nursing assistant, lives in Metro Plaza Houses on First Avenue in East Harlem, sandwiched between two new pricy luxury buildings with amenities like a shuttle bus and a white-gloved doorman.
“These buildings affected everything,” said Toxe complaining he has to travel uptown to buy milk and meat because his local Associated supermarket raised its prices.
370 Notes/ Hide
- seclayto likes this
- fogwithwheels reblogged this from moniquill
- sebastianshortcakes reblogged this from jopara
- luvlaila likes this
- i-mpickingupthepieces reblogged this from alostbird
- seanpadilla likes this
- hiphopthurs reblogged this from alostbird
- nappysupastar likes this
- nappysupastar reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- xsincerelyruth likes this
- mujer-invencible likes this
- jopara reblogged this from moniquill
- ezramadmage reblogged this from alostbird
- alostbird reblogged this from ereyes312
- gettingknowledge reblogged this from ishkwaakiiwan and added:
- ushikaur reblogged this from its-salah
- outspokentoken likes this
- mxpistols likes this
- the-wardens-vermin likes this
- herbmana reblogged this from zorrozapatistazootero
- zorrozapatistazootero reblogged this from sinfulprophet
- zorrozapatistazootero likes this
- spookface reblogged this from ishkwaakiiwan
- sinfulprophet reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- sinfulprophet likes this
- kidfromthehill reblogged this from yolanda-be-coool
- mechaknight reblogged this from andromedamedrexia
- arboriform reblogged this from moniquill
- homesickstardust likes this
- andromedamedrexia reblogged this from ereyes312
- andromedamedrexia likes this
- fall-of-the-archangel likes this
- yolanda-be-coool reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- maximiliani likes this
- ashr451 reblogged this from moniquill
- madamedevideoland likes this
- ereyes312 reblogged this from moniquill
- ereyes312 likes this
- moniquill reblogged this from ishkwaakiiwan
- lankan23 likes this
- ishkwaakiiwan reblogged this from katniss-everbeans
- infamousnfamous likes this
- infinitelaughing reblogged this from kingvincentiv
- kingvincentiv reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- thenewblak reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- katniss-everbeans reblogged this from restrainyourleapsofillogic
- freaks-in-uniforms likes this
- restrainyourleapsofillogic reblogged this from rockycreepskate
- rockycreepskate reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- fallintoyourarmstonight likes this