The NYPD sergeant and cop involved in the fatal shooting of Brooklyn 16-year-old Kimani Gray have been named in five federal lawsuits — which cost the city a total of $215,000 in settlements, court records show.
Sgt. Mourad Mourad racked up three suits while he was a plainclothes cop on Staten Island, and Officer Jovaniel Cordova racked up two at Brooklyn’s 70th Precinct — all alleging various civil rights violations including illegal stop and search and false arrest.
Prosecutors later dismissed all but one of the arrests against the six plaintiffs, and the criminal cases were sealed.
Mourad and Cordova had been placed on desk duty while the NYPD and the Brooklyn district attorney’s office continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the March 9 shooting in East Flatbush that has since sparked ‘riots’. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has said Gray was shot after he pointed a .38-caliber revolver at the sergeant and cop, who had approached a group of youths on the street.
A woman who told the Daily News she witnessed the shooting from her apartment window said Gray did not have a gun in his hand. She previously told Internal Affairs investigators she couldn’t see what the kids were doing “from the angle I was at.” (which was a distance away from where he was shot).
The settlements in the prior cases ranged from $20,000 to $92,500, with no admission of wrongdoing by the city.
“Our clients’ interactions with Sgt. Mourad and Officer Cordova expose a disturbing pattern of unconstitutional and aggressive stop-and-frisk practices,” said lawyer Brett Klein, who filed four of the five suits.
“In each case, Mourad and Cordova attempted to cover up their misconduct by falsifying and fabricating evidence.”
The suits are:
- Derek Franks received a $92,500 settlement for a suit against Mourad and other unidentified cops, alleging he was illegally stopped and frisked on May 7, 2007. He spent four months in Rikers Island until charges were dropped.
- Andre Maraj and Dary Harville each received $22,500 settlements, which alleged they were falsely arrested by Mourad and others. Harville claimed he was “slammed” into a car.
- Peter Owusu received $22,500 for the “emotional distress” he suffered as a result of a car stop and arrest by Cordova. Owusu claims he was placed facedown in a puddle and handcuffed. He later pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.
- Steve Morency got $35,000 after accusing Cordova of an illegal stop inside an E. 17th St. building. Morency claimed he was punched in the face and needed three stitches to close a cut above his eye.
- Jontel Sebbern received $20,000 stemming from his arrest after a car stop. He was ordered out of the car by Mourad and others, who frisked him and pulled his pants and underwear.
“You can take me to the precinct but you’re not going in my underwear here,” Sebbern told the cops, says the complaint.
Editors Note: Today, Saturday March 16th, makes one week since Kimani was killed. There will be another protest at 55th street and Church ave. at 7pm. We’re expecting a large turnout, come by if you can.
1701 Notes/ Hide
- rigelandsirius likes this
- spitfirebreathesmoke likes this
- novelcombinationofwords reblogged this from priceofliberty
- kwamejaw reblogged this from officialasshole
- kwamejaw likes this
- roger-sterlings-lsd-trip reblogged this from slimmcharles
- sex-fashion-piercings-reptiles reblogged this from slimmcharles
- justwidle reblogged this from slimmcharles
- serendipityschild likes this
- slimmcharles reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- thatwhitegirldoee likes this
- str8nochaser likes this
- jayerocccc reblogged this from erotic-fixation
- dontilookgood likes this
- bringthewhippedcream reblogged this from erotic-fixation
- erotic-fixation reblogged this from redhair-greeneyed-honeyy
- redhair-greeneyed-honeyy reblogged this from righteous-queen
- demarcusj likes this
- righteous-queen reblogged this from heartbreakerfromtheheartofdixie
- godilovebeingasupervillian reblogged this from deux-zero-deux
- xv4 reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- mermaidofspace reblogged this from mickeyblowsyourmind
- swagandpassion reblogged this from ghostsofrobespierre
- ghostsofrobespierre reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- ik4rus reblogged this from thegoddamazon
- m-a-y-hem reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- amipunkyet likes this
- realworldnews reblogged this from mochente
- thepeoplesrecord reblogged this from mochente
- thepeoplesrecord likes this
- mochente reblogged this from sinidentidades
- sk07 likes this
- dr-loggins reblogged this from kali-fullofwordsnthoughts
- kali-fullofwordsnthoughts reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- lamecifer reblogged this from balmainsaintlaurent
- lamecifer likes this
- balmainsaintlaurent reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- balmainsaintlaurent likes this
- penstroker likes this
- the-aspiring-maverick reblogged this from blackmack87
- chocolavision reblogged this from youngblackandvegan
- killkarl likes this
- accras likes this
- theophrastus-bombastus reblogged this from ave-atque-vale
- gooeyfame reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- dropdead61 likes this
- moon-senpai reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- sincerelyaisha likes this
- jaison96 reblogged this from silas216
- silas216 reblogged this from anarcho-queer