NYPD Officer Blows Whistle On Stop & Frisk, Superior’s Told Him To Target “Male Blacks 14 to 21” (Must Read)
As hearings are under way to investigate New York City’s stop and frisk policy, one police officer is testifying that he was told by superiors to target young black men between the ages of 14 and 21.
Stop and frisk is a method of searching people in which a cop is able to stop someone he or she suspects of a crime, and is able to frisk that individual if they feel that there is some justification. New York City policy made 685,724 stops as part of the policy in 2011 alone. In total, they have made over 5 million stops, and 85 percent of those stopped were black or Latino. 88% were innocent, meaning they were not arrested or given a summons.
Officer Pedro Serrano, in court to testify yesterday, played a covert recording he’d obtained of an interraction with his superior where he was told the race of people to target, though not that he should stop everyone of that race:
Stop “the right people, the right time, the right location,” Deputy Inspector Christopher McCormack is heard saying on the recording.
“He meant blacks and Hispanics,” Officer Pedro Serrano, who made the secret recording, testified Thursday in Manhattan federal court.
“So what am I supposed to do: Stop every black and Hispanic?”Serrano was heard saying on the tape, which was recorded last month at the 40th Precinct in the Bronx.[…]
“I have no problem telling you this,” the inspector said on the tape. “Male blacks. And I told you at roll call, and I have no problem [to] tell you this, male blacks 14 to 21.”
During cross examination, City lawyer Brenda Cooke got Serrano to admit that McCormack never said he wanted Serrano to stop all blacks and Hispanics.
“Those specific words, no,” he told her.
The news about targeting black men tracks with yesterday’s revelations that the NYPD set quotas for arrests. It also explains the fact that, in 2011, NYPD made more stops of young black men than there actually are young black men in the city.
Serrano’s tape and testimony were introduced as evidence in a class-action lawsuit against the NYPD’s controversial stop-and-frisk tactic brought by four black New Yorkers who claim they were targeted because of their race.
Also, the first of several tapes surreptitiously made by Brooklyn cop Adrian Schoolcraft made its debut at the trial. The audio he recorded proved that the police department ‘manipulated’ crime reports to make to it seem like crime decreased in NYC.
After the NYPD found out about Adrian’s incriminating evidence, they broke into his apartment, handcuffed him and locked him in a insane asylum for 6 days against his will to silence him.
4605 Notes/ Hide
- muscular-cheese likes this
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- queerandbrownblog reblogged this from queerandbrown
- theyogurtidentifiesasnonbinary reblogged this from reverseracism
- theyogurtidentifiesasnonbinary likes this
- melvinportorreal reblogged this from borneblack
- livingxvxfaith likes this
- apologetikerfeind reblogged this from copsdothedarndestthings
- lacunaphase likes this
- lamareacontinues reblogged this from yanettcanhazsoul
- yanettcanhazsoul reblogged this from numantinecitizen
- numantinecitizen reblogged this from bra5a-a7at
- bra5a-a7at reblogged this from bitch-noodles
- theotherlifeofpia reblogged this from southerntease
- weedandlemonade reblogged this from southerntease
- southerntease reblogged this from green229
- green229 reblogged this from truealma
- kielisan likes this
- mentalbellyflop reblogged this from lordhaternumber1superstar
- wombats-echo reblogged this from lordhaternumber1superstar
- lordhaternumber1superstar reblogged this from truealma
- consciousmassive likes this
- not-above-it-all likes this
- dallasgarvin reblogged this from lovelifelaurennn
- lovethybeautyful likes this
- ceemee reblogged this from borneblack
- theworldisalive reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- apologetikerfeind likes this
- edmundkeenan reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- oneshykitten reblogged this from professorbeast
- professorbeast reblogged this from mustangscullaaay
- causaly likes this
- itcanbeover reblogged this from alexandraerin
- jabberwockary reblogged this from taraxacumwreath
- v-lagopus likes this
- g-isabellae reblogged this from crackerbitchculler
- thatssointernet likes this
- kickerofelves reblogged this from remierk
- lilpistolstarta reblogged this from zywu
- abovethecloudsclosertothesun reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- madanmsila reblogged this from malcontentment
- comeonchang reblogged this from convictionsofmyimagination
- stary-eyed-hijabi reblogged this from pixyled
- the-unfriendlyblackhottie reblogged this from teacupfullofcherries77
- racismschool likes this
- afrosamurai-1 likes this
- teacupfullofcherries77 reblogged this from lorilevaughn
- fromoxie1 likes this