The Americans Civil Liberties Union on Friday revealed that courts in Ohio are illegally throwing poor people in jail for being unable to pay off a debt.
In a report titled, “The Outskirts of Hope,” (PDF) the ACLU shines a light on a harrowing “debtors’ prison” system in Ohio — one that violates both the United States’ and the Ohio constitution. Ohioans are being jailed for “as small as a few hundred dollars,” despite the constitutional violation, and the economic evidence that it costs the state more to pay for their jail sentence than the amount of the debt.
In its report, the ACLU details the stories of several people sent to debtors’ prison. Jack Dawley owed $1,500 in “fines and costs in the Norwalk Municipal Court,” and was behind on child support payments, leading the Ohio courts to send him to prison in Wisconsin for 3 and a half years. He still struggles with trying to repay the fines. Another victim of the system, single mother Tricia Metcalf, was taken to jail each and every time she wasn’t able to make her $50-a-month payments on fines for writing bad checks. Megan Sharp, whose husband is currently in jail on overdue fines, was unable to pay $300 in fines for driving on a suspended license and went to jail for 10 days. When she got out, she owed $200 more on top of the original amount. Both she and her husband are unemployed.
The AP has a round up of the charges that the ACLU levels against Ohio, writ large:
— In the second half of last year, more than one in every five of all bookings in the Huron County jail — originating from Norwalk Municipal Court cases — involved a failure to pay fines.
— In suburban Cleveland, Parma Municipal Court jailed at least 45 defendants for failure to pay fines and costs between July 15 and August 31, 2012.
— During the same period, Sandusky Municipal Court jailed at least 75 people for similar charges.
Court officials have pledged to look into the accusations.
In 2011, ThinkProgress reported on how the deep recession and loss of employment had led to a return of debtor’s prisons. People were reportedly put in jail for something as small as missing a single furniture payment.
316 Notes/ Hide
- viscountfrancisbacon reblogged this from joaniam
- viscountfrancisbacon likes this
- joaniam reblogged this from g-isabellae
- g-isabellae reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- resmc likes this
- danceswithcrafts reblogged this from pfdiva and added:
- qarinus reblogged this from pewpewlazernipples
- pewpewlazernipples reblogged this from petticoatruler
- unfocus likes this
- petticoatruler reblogged this from sinidentidades
- fridaynightgurus likes this
- fanonurl reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- squirrelonsquirrel reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- awalt2069 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- earthyfleshygoddess reblogged this from biblioteknician
- biblioteknician reblogged this from moniquill
- snarlfurillo reblogged this from moniquill
- phantomfrosting likes this
- thisisjoa likes this
- amyablility reblogged this from pfdiva
- dreadful-record-of-sin reblogged this from moniquill
- ohuwantsomeofthishotfire reblogged this from nishnasty and added:
- nishnasty reblogged this from moniquill
- fabeld likes this
- smooolie reblogged this from moniquill
- dancinginhogwartswiththedoctor likes this
- 86amaria likes this
- aiffe likes this
- possiblythreefourthspeahen reblogged this from moniquill
- puzzleshipper reblogged this from schakall
- blemy reblogged this from moniquill
- nowherezone11 likes this
- thenewoctuple reblogged this from moniquill
- justaquickquestion reblogged this from moniquill
- pfdiva reblogged this from azzandra
- moniquill reblogged this from azzandra
- isleptpassnoon reblogged this from davekat
- davekat reblogged this from azzandra
- azzandra reblogged this from santa-in-the-club
- endorsebatman likes this
- infamousstuff reblogged this from santaslittleleper
- castillolaw reblogged this from sinidentidades
- castillolaw likes this
- novaless likes this
- merfymouse reblogged this from sinidentidades
- ezlncheerleader reblogged this from sinidentidades
- tookie-grass-mcgee reblogged this from santaslittleleper
- tookie-grass-mcgee likes this
- teaspoon-of-salt reblogged this from santa-in-the-club
- santaslittleleper reblogged this from short-cuts-to-true-love