Three activists, including an 83-year-old nun, who broke into a US nuclear weapons facility in Tennessee were convicted on Wednesday of interfering with national security.
In what The New York Times labeled the biggest security breach in the history of the atomic complex, the trio broke into the Y-12 National Security Complex on July 28, 2012 and defaced a uranium processing plant.
The Y-12 facility has been in operation since 1943 as part of the Manhattan Project, and today is responsible for both the production and maintenance of all uranium parts for the entire US nuclear weapons arsenal. Over the years, the facility has also been the target of nonviolent anti-nuclear protests.
Now, a jury in Tennessee has charged the three protesters with sabotaging the plant, with a second charge of damaging federal property.
Defense attorneys for the three activists - Sister Megan Rice, 57-year-old Greg Boertje-Obed and Michael Walli, 64 - maintained that the prosecution had overreached.
"The shortcomings in security at one of the most dangerous places on the planet have embarrassed a lot of people," defense lawyer Francis Lloyd said.
"You’re looking at three scapegoats behind me," he added
Defense attorneys also noted that, once the three refused to plead guilty to trespassing, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years’ imprisonment, the prosecution introduced the charge of sabotage, which carries a maximum prison term of twenty years. They believed the higher charge should have been dismissed.
The three defendants spent two hours inside Y-12, during which time they hung banners, cut through security fences, strung crime-scene tape and sprayed “baby bottles full of human blood” on the exterior portion of the facility.
Prosecutors argued that the breach of security was serious, and caused the plant to shut down for two weeks as security staff were re-trained and defense contractors replaced.
Meanwhile, federal officials maintain that there was never any danger of the three activists reaching materials that could be detonated or used to construct an improvised bomb.
371 Notes/ Hide
- nothingandeverythingwat reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- indhouse reblogged this from peaceshine3 and added:
- enuwey likes this
- enuwey reblogged this from glompcat
- glompcat reblogged this from cosmicnarwhals
- saintpeppermintfrappe reblogged this from sinidentidades
- fun-ta-mental likes this
- wrcsolace reblogged this from aragingquiet
- jjarichardson reblogged this from other-stuff
- jjarichardson likes this
- theanalyzersfanfics reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- rareandradiantmaiden reblogged this from sinidentidades
- ruqaiyahn likes this
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- detrea likes this
- rezby reblogged this from petticoatruler
- rezby likes this
- michaelisbored reblogged this from sinidentidades
- cantbereallife reblogged this from sinidentidades
- cantbereallife likes this
- glompcat likes this
- aragingquiet reblogged this from petticoatruler
- foxford-comma reblogged this from sinidentidades
- cosmicnarwhals reblogged this from sinidentidades
- erisandkallisti likes this
- petticoatruler reblogged this from sinidentidades
- babetbh likes this
- 24-hour-revenge-therapy reblogged this from sinidentidades
- sinidentidades reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- tobealiveispower reblogged this from brattymisandrist
- hugahalf-elf reblogged this from generalbriefing
- crude-sunlight likes this
- sleepygirlgang reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- northisnotmark likes this
- my-thanks-to-the-monster likes this
- wolfenkahlon reblogged this from thejorg and added:
- genderliquid reblogged this from violentqueers
- momnaaaa likes this
- xicanaboi reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- mojojojoe reblogged this from ratchetromance
- alpha-centauri reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- broadminded likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- hairtrending likes this
- queermerooooar reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- queermerooooar likes this
- randycwhite reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- randycwhite likes this
- tipustin reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- negativeiamacapsicle reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president